Charters › Reef Fishing
Cairns is the closest major port to the magnificent Great Barrier Reef, arguably the greatest fish attractor on earth.
Daily, all manner of craft steam out from the shelter of Trinity Inlet and descend on this wonderland of life as travelers from around the globe swim, snorkel, scuba, fish and just laze about immersed in this celebration of color and diversity that is the Great Barrier Reef - the only living thing on earth visible from space.
The food chain here is complete, with the mass of coral providing shelter and food as predator eats predator. This abundance of life provides the perfect opportunity for the visiting angler to capture some truly magnificent fish.
Reef fishing is commonly called "Bottom Bouncing" where anglers use heavy 60-100lb handline techniques to target such prized eating fish as coral trout, red emperor, sweetlip and nannygai. You may also drift a ganged pillie (small baitfish) for spanish mackerel, great light tackle sportfish and excellent on the chew as well.
This style of fishing is not for every one but gives the angler the best possible chance to land these superb fighting and tasty fish - the absolute best way to extract the prime-ating reef dwellers ......mmm! DELICIOUS. The crew will clean and pack your catch ready for the BBQ or restaurant.
- Share day charters generally depart daily from Cairns and Port Douglas. All tackle and bait is supplied with prices starting from $260 per person.
- Don't Know: Bluewater Fishing includes Inshore (close to the coast), Wrecks i.e. sunken boats, Trolling, Jigging as well as Lure Fishing & Popper Fishing with surface lures.Your Cairns Bluewater fishing charter can be tailored around your needs and wants plus the experience your guide equals a great day Bluewater fishing from Cairns. Vessel `Don't Know` is a 6.3 metre Cairns Custom Craft (north wind).
- Akoonah Angling : Quality sport fishing charters around both Cairns and Port Douglas in Far North Queensland. A completely personalised service is guaranteed as only sole charters are booked so you get to fish where and how you like. Whether you want to fish on the Great Barrier Reef or one of the tropical North's estuaries or rivers, an exclusive charter can be designed just for you.
- Coral Sea Adventures - Cape York: A family company (based in Port Douglas) offering extended charters throughout the northern Great Barrier Reef and remote Cape York waters aboard the motor vessel Doreen Too. Doreen Too is a magnificent purpose built timber charter vessel. At 55ft she is a classic, weighs 75 tons and underwent a major refit in 2003 / 2004. Travel to the remote Cape York waters where the fishing is simply 'awesome'. Little fished reefs including the famous 10 Ribbon Reefs on the continental shelf, Princess Charlotte Bay, the productive grounds near Lizard Island and the Bathurst Islands are just some of the options you can choose to visit. Each trip's agenda is arranged in consultation with the clients.
- MV Boomerang II - Princess Charlotte Bay: Although principally for sportsfishing and fly fishing enthusiasts, this non-stop 7 day Cape York adventure also provides ample opportunity to get amongst Coral Trout and Red Emperor with 2 days dedicated to reef fishing.
Please contact us if you would like some help in arranging a charter or an 'Up North' fishing holiday.
Home › Top › Back › Charters