Charters › Extended Charters & Cape York
Tropical North Queensland boasts some of the last remaining wilderness fishing opportunities in Oz. You will be absolutely amazed at the clarity of the waters, the wilderness experience, and the diversity of life with its uninhabited islands, wilderness coastline, pristine rivers and of course one of the seven natural wonders of the world - Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Sometimes just being there is rewards enough, and then we have the fishing.
Prime targets include Australia's premier light tackle sport fish, the mighty barramundi (but don't be too focussed here or you'll miss all the other great species) The list is impressive indeed and includes mangrove jack, fingermark, queenfish, various trevally species, king & blue salmon, cod, mackerel and tuna like you've never seen before.
And along with quality reef fishing for coral trout, red emperor, nannygai and trevally; to game fishing for the monster blue and black marlin, sailfish, wahoo, spanish mackerel, yellowfin and other tuna, G.T.'s and mahi mahi - chose the angling location and preferred fishing "style" to suit your needs.
Regions like the Hinchinbrook Channel, Princess Charlotte Bay, Seisia, the Torres Straits and Weipa are special and the quality of the fishing outstanding.
Options include share and sole charter, live aboard or land based and Fishing Cairns can arrange everything ex Cairns including your return airfares, accommodation and guide / skipper to suit your angling preferences and budget.
As we say "if you can't catch it in Tropical North Queensland, its probably not worth catching" so why not let Fishing Cairns arrange that fishing holiday of a lifetime - the memories will live forever, many will return.
Calm Water Locations
- Hinchinbrook Channel: 3 days (recommended) fishing against the majestic backdrop of Hinchinbrook Island is spectacular enough, but to be able to target good quality sportfish including barramundi, mangrove jacks, trevally, queenfish, salmon, fingermark, grunter, cod.. !!!! (Number of days can be amended)
- Tully Rainforest Rivers: This 3 days and 2 nights packages takes you to the Tully river, a magnificent freshwater system 150kms south of Cairns with perfectly clear fast flowing sections entwined with numerous deep slower flowing pools lined by tropical rainforest or open fields. (Number of days can be amended).
- Heli-Fishing Safaris: 3 and 5 day helicopter safaris that take you deep into Cape York for the experience of a lifetime. Jungle streams, isolated beaches, remote mangrove lined estuaries and the thrill of tackling BIG barra. This is real fishing, and the adventure of a lifetime.
- Lake Tinaroo: If you want monster freshwater barra, the only place to go is Lake Tinaroo on the Atherton Tablelands, just 1.5 hours west of Cairns. Join us for a day (or 2) for some excellent sportfishing.
- Western Cape York: Aurukun, 100kms south of Weipa, is a fishing wonderland with access to the bluewater sportsfishing of the Gulf, the magnificent Archer River system, and the adjacent reefs, beaches, estuaries and rocky headlands. This charter offers everything that Cape York is renowned for - adventure, scenery, remoteness and great fishing.
- Cooktown: 2 days river fishing on the Endeavour and Annan Rivers. Mangrove Jack, Trevally, Fingermark, Queenies and Barramundi make for some of the best river fishing you’ll ever find.
Inshore Blue Water - Cape York
No matter how many times you venture to the Cape, you are not prepared for the stunning vista of pure white sand and sparkling blue seas that greet you there. You will instantly feel at home, relaxed but excited as expectations are high for a fishing experience of a life- time.
We have many options to chose from as follows, either land based in air-conditioned accommodation, fully catered live aboard and an exciting new Cape York Sea-Voyage & Safari in conjunction with our friends at OZ Tours Safaris.
- Weipa Sportfishing Adventures - Weipa And Cape York: The Weipa region boasts some of the most pristine eco systems on the entire Cape, and with commercial fishing banned in this area for many years your prime targets are available in numbers not found in southern waters. With direct flights ex Cairns twice a day why not experience three days of magnificent fishing with our professional guides.
- Seisia Sport Fishing Charters - Seisia And Cape York: At Seisia, on the western side of the tip of Cape York, Imagine yourself fishing uninhabited islands, wilderness coastline and pristine rivers, chasing barramundi, mangrove jack, queenfish, trevally, mackerel and tuna and be able to relax with a hot shower and a cold beer at the end of the day.
- Cape York Custom Sportfishing - Seisia: Our vessel, a superbly riding "Stinger" long boat, is perfect for cruising down the coast, to the near shore blue water and islands or gliding up the rivers and estuaries that make this unique fishing destination so productive. This region has so many fishy looking places, islands of all sizes dotted the horizon, sand bars strewed along the near shore zone while the white sandy beaches and flats hold promise of excellent fly fishing opportunities. Read my trip report about when I went to the tip of Cape York, hooked up with Gary, and spent the next few days chasing some serious GT's, queenies, barra and king salmon.
- Coral Sea Adventures - Cape York: A family company (based in Port Douglas) offering extended charters throughout the northern Great Barrier Reef and remote Cape York waters aboard the motor vessel Doreen Too. Doreen Too is a magnificent purpose built timber charter vessel. At 55ft she is a classic, weighs 75 tons and underwent a major refit in 2003 / 2004. Travel to the remote Cape York waters where the fishing is simply 'awesome'. Little fished reefs including the famous 10 Ribbon Reefs on the continental shelf, Princess Charlotte Bay, the productive grounds near Lizard Island and the Bathurst Islands are just some of the options you can choose to visit. Each trip's agenda is arranged in consultation with the clients.
Offshore Blue Water Light Tackle
- Light Tackle Sportfishing extended charters have to be one of the most spectacular and personally rewarding experiences if quality angling is your desire. Travel to the rarely fished wide grounds up to 100 miles off the coast, experience some of the best and wildest fishing on the planet. From blue marlin, stripped marlin, sailfish, dolphinfish, wahoo, dogtooth & yellowfin tuna. The ultimate in sportfishing. (Note: prices vary according to vessel quality, length, cruising speed, fit out, age etc and skipper experience etc.)
Big Game Fishing
The Cairns region has long been recognised as the Black Marlin Capital of the World with the area stretching from Lizard Island in the north, to just south of this beautiful modern tropical city, the envy of many fisherman.
More 1,000lb+ black marlin are caught in these waters each season than all the other known grounds put together. The region is regularly rated the number one gamefishing region on the planet.
- Extended Charters And Live Aboards: The very best way to target these fish however is with an extended charter option. Imagine cruising the reef, anchoring inside a calm lagoon for the night and sipping on a cold drink while watching the sun set on another golden tropical day. And the fishing, well everything from monster blue & black marlin (seasons apply), Pacific gamefish, G.T.'s, dogtooth tuna and various reef dwellers designed to pull your arms off, can be targeted during these very special trips. Usually a sole charter option only.
- GT Popper Charters: Available year round but the best months are September through to March. One local operator boasts the impressive figures of 37 releases in a day (average size 15Kgs), by two anglers. The most released on a 2-day charter 59 and on a 3-day charter it is 74. Now that's backbreaking and exciting fishing in anyone's language, guaranteed to put a smile on your dial and a thirst in your throat.
Please contact us if you would like some help in arranging a charter or an 'Up North' fishing holiday.
Home › Top › Back › Charters